Employment reference checks
When interviewing an applicant for a position you automatically
ask questions that pertain to the experience and education that relate
to the position. However, it is also important to get information about
a person’s character as it relates to the job. An employment personal
reference check is the optimal way to get that information.
The whole picture
Employment personal reference checks:
During an employment personal reference check we call the applicant’s
resume references that are work related or personal, and ask a list
of questions. The questions can be extracted from our pre-developed questionnaires,
or you can develop you own list of questions if there are certain areas
you want to ask about.
What to ask
We recommend you inquire about the applicant's relationship to the reference
and how long they have known each other in order to evaluate the information.
Other information we recommend you ask include:
For more information on our resume reference checks, Contact
- Have you ever worked with this applicant? If yes, please describe
your observations of him / her on the job.
- Please describe for me your observations of his/her greatest
strength (as an employee, worker, volunteer?)
- What, in your opinion, is his/her weakest area requiring improvement
(as an employee, worker, volunteer)?
- Please comment on your opinion of the applicant's character
- Please comment on your knowledge of any habitual problems this
applicant may have such as drinking, drugs, morals etc.
- Would you have any reservations whatsoever in recommending this
applicant for employment with us?